1. Getting Started
9-12 months prior to program departure
- Start generating ideas for what type of study abroad program you would like to lead
- Read through the "Guidelines for Success" sheet
- Begin completing the Faculty-led Proposal for the Office of Study Abroad
Winter 2023/24 programs – May 31, 2023 – Winter Proposal
Spring Break 2024 programs – July 28, 2023 – Spring Break Proposal
Summer 2024 programs – September 5, 2023 – Summer Proposal
- Start working on the budget, course syllabus, and itinerary for your program
- Submit all contracts to the Office of Procurement and Contracts.
- If applicable, begin UCCC approval process for courses not currently listed in the course catalog (Special Topics courses take less time to be approved)
2. Proposal is Approved
8-10 months prior to program departure
- Begin recruiting students to participate in your program through directed emails, interest meetings, class visits, social media, and tabling.
- Participate in OSA’s Fall Study Abroad Fair in the Union.
- Keep in contact with OSA to be sure we have all the necessary information.
3.Application is Live
6-8 months prior to program departure
- Continue recruitment efforts.
- This is a great time to hold an interest meeting and/or send out a recruiting email. Students often talk with their parents about summer plans over winter break.
- Participate in OSA’s Spring Study Abroad Fair.
- Begin reviewing student applications.
- Review International Travel Procedures and complete the international travel approval process.
4. Application Deadline Hits
3-4 months prior to program departure
- Accept students into your program.
- Encourage students to complete their application requirements
- OSA will transfer student program fees to your department. Once you receive the funds, begin to make payments for your program.
1-2 months prior to program departure
- Continue encouraging students to complete their applications, so OSA can give them permission to register in your course.
- Remind students to attend one of the mandatory in-person Outbound Orientation sessions.
- Hold a Pre-Departure Meeting for your students before they go home for the summer.
- Touch base with OSA to make sure we have all information we need from you regarding your program.
- Complete STEP Information Request Form and International Insurance Information Request Form.