If you are a U.S. citizen and do not yet possess a U.S. Passport Book or Passport Card, you may now apply for your new U.S. Passport document at MSU’s International Institute.
The U.S. Passport Book is a globally accepted travel document regardless of mode of travel.
The U.S. Passport Card is a wallet-size card that can only be used for land and sea travel between the U.S., Mexico, Canada, Bermunda, and the Caribbean.
First time U.S. Passport applicants are required to submit proof of U.S. citizenship with the passport application.
Applicants born in the U.S. must submit an original or certified copy (not a notarized copy) of the birth certificate, or an undamaged current/expired full-validity U.S. Passport book or card.
Applicants born outside the U.S. to at least one U.S. citizen parent will submit any one of the following documents:
• Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad
• Form DS-1350, Certification of a Report of Birth Abroad
• Certificate of Citizenship
• An undamaged current/expired full-validity U.S. Passport book or card
Applicants who acquired citizenship through naturalization will submit one of the following:
• The original Certificate of Naturalization
• An undamaged current/expired full-validity U.S. Passport book or card
A photocopy of your citizenship document is required in addition to the original or certified copy.
All passport applicants must submit proof of identity at the time of application.
Applicants age 16 and older should be prepared to present valid government- or state-issued identification at the time of application. If out-of-state identification is presented, additional identification may be required. Proper government- or state-issued identification includes:
- Current or previous U.S. Passport
- Driver's license
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of citizenship
- Military identification
- Federal, state, or municipal government employee identification cards
Applicant's age 15 and younger are not expected to have valid government-issued identification. For those applicants, identification will be collected from the applicant’s parents or guardians.
A recent color photograph is required with each U.S. Passport application. Passport photos must be:
- Clear, with a full front view of the applicant’s face, without glasses
- Printed on paper with a plain light (white or off-white) background
- Taken with a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open
- Taken in normal street attire, without a hat, head covering, or dark glasses unless a signed statement is submitted by the applicant verifying the item is worn daily for religious purposes or a doctor’s statement is submitted verifying the item is used daily for medical purposes
- Uniforms, clothing that looks like a uniform, and camouflage attire should not be worn in photos except in the case of religious attire that is worn daily
- Headphones or wireless hands-free devices should not be worn
- Taken within the last 6 months
- 2 X 2 inches (51 X 51 mm)
The image size measured from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head (including hair) should not be less than 1 inch and not more than 1 3/8 inches.
In addition to accepting applications, the International Institute will take your passport photos on site! For $10.00, you'll receive up to two*, 2" X 2" U.S. passport-style, color photographs. Passport-style photos are acceptable for International ID cards and OPT applications. Payment for photo services may be made with a check, cash, money order, debit card or credit card.
*Current requirement for U.S. Passport applications is one photo.
Passport Fees (02/24/2023)
Please note that the application fees and the execution fees have to be paid separately:
- Application Fees: paid by check or money order only; payable to "U.S. Department of State."
- Execution Fees: paid by check, cash, money order, debit card, or credit card; payable to "International Institute.”
Please note that starter checks are not accepted by the U.S. Department of State as payment for application.
|Payment Type||U.S. Department of State Accepts||The International Institute Accepts|
Please check the U.S. Department of State to get the most updated fees for passport services.
Overnight Return Delivery is the quickest way to receive your passport. An additional fee may be added to the Application Fee for this service. This fee covers Overnight Return Delivery of your passport to you once it has been produced by the Department of State.
The U.S. Department of State requires the collection of an Execution Fee of $35 at all Passport Acceptance Facilities.
Passport photographs are available on site at the International Institute for $10.00 and will be added to the Execution Fee.
For current processing times, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
Book an Appointment
Location and Hours
By appointment only Monday - Friday from 9:00am - 11:30am, closed on weekends and holidays.
Mississippi State University
175 President’s Circle
157 Allen Hall
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Daily Visitor Passes
Visitors can purchase an online visitor permit that they can print and display on their dashboards. This can be done through the Parking Services website. Your first visit is free, other visits are $3.00 per day. Visitors may also visit the Parking and Transit Services office in the Roberts Building at 412 East Lee Boulevard and purchase a daily visitor permit to display in their vehicle for $3.00 per day.
Visitor passes will allow you to park in any general staff, commuter, or student parking space. It will not allow for parking in service, gated, or metered parking.
Old Main Academic Center Parking Garage
The Old Main Academic Center Parking Garage accepts debit and credit cards only and is open to all parkers. The cost is $3.00 for the first hour and $1.00 every other hour for a maximum daily fee of $15.00. The garage is on the bottom two floors of the Old Main Academic Center which is located at 560 Barr Avenue on the southeast corner of the intersection of George Perry Boulevard and Barr Avenue.
Metered parking can be found at the Roberts Building on East Lee Boulevard, the Colvard Student Union on Lee Boulevard, and the Garner Hall parking lot. Each location has several spaces that are designated as metered parking that are open to all parkers. To park in the metered spaces, the parker must enter the vehicle's license plate information into the Paystations that are conveniently located at each location and pay with their debit or credit card. Rates are $1.25 for the first hour, $2.00 for the 2nd hour, and $3.00 for the 3rd hour. No extension is allowed after the 3rd hour.
More information regarding parking on campus can be found at the University’s Parking Services website at parkingservices.msstate.edu.
U.S. Passport Renewal
Certain U.S. Passport applicants may be eligible to renew their U.S. Passport by mail using Form DS-82.
The Mississippi State University International Institute does NOT process Renewal Applications.
To determine if you need a Passport Renewal, visit
If you need a passport photo taken please use the booking system to make an appointment.