Maintaining F-1/J-1 Status

Enrollment Requirements

Per federal regulations, all F-1 and J-1 students are required to be enrolled full time (undergraduate: 12 hours; graduate: 9 hours) each fall and spring semester. If you begin a program during the summer semester, you must enroll in 6 hours during the summer semester.

While online courses are permitted, only 3 hours of online courses may be counted towards the full-time requirement.

Exceptions to the full-time requirement must be requested prior to the start of the semester.

Reduced Course Load Request

Passport and Visa Requirements

Passports must remain valid at all times. Prior to expiration, students should contact their country's embassy to begin the renewal process.

Visas can expire while you are in the United States. Your passport and immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019) are the only documents that must remain valid while in the United States. Visas can only be renewed outside the United States, ideally in your home country. If you have questions about visa renewal, please come in during walk-in hours or email an international advisor.


Click here for infomration about employment.

Transfer Out

Click here for information about transferring to a new school.

Program Extension

Click here for information about extending your program.

Changing Programs

Click here for information about changing your major or your degree level.